Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Anabel Medina Garrigues in the final major of his career

The Spanish Anabel Medina qualified for the final tournament in Bali, the most important of his career, against Serbia's Ana Ivanovic, defending champion, beating Germany's Sabine Lisicki, who retired from the meeting in the third set, because to a back injury.

Medina had won the first set 6-3, lost the second 6-4. Lisicki asked for treatment in this second set, and as could be done with this part, but then chose to leave after two hours of fighting when he gave up a 4-0, due to pain in that area.

Anabel won 18 of the first 22 points of the third quarter, when Lisicki could no longer maintain the pace of the game.

Thus, Medina reached the final after his two opponents in the tournament to withdraw through injury. In the previous encounter the same thing happened against France's Marion Bartoli, with which he had to save two match points.

"I have not had many retreats in my career and now I have two at once," said Medina. "I feel bad for Sabine, I noticed that he was wrong in the second set but won it, but in the beginning of the third saw that was wrong."

"Today was a little nervous, but I'm happy to be in the final," added Medina. "I feel very good on this track. I've been practicing all week and I have been attaching great. I feel great in Bali, and the only treatment is to enjoy my game now."

Before, Ivanovic had broken the Russian Nadia Petrova 6-1, 7-5, after a great start in which he won nine consecutive games. Petrova slightly recomposed their schemes and managed level the second set, and even got to have a set point with 5-4, but Anna was saved and then won the last game to reach the final.

"With 6-1 and 2-0 I noticed that she went in level, started serving better and make fewer mistakes. But I'm happy because I was able to concentrate again and close the match in two sets," said Ivanovic.

Ivanovic will be the fifteenth to the end of his career (10-4) and the eighteenth Medina (11-6). Of Serbia, one of the world exnúmero, will play his first final since winning the title last year and Medina is the most important of his career.

Ivanovic Anabel Medina and have met three times, with 2-1 for the Serbian player who has won his two matches on the ground: Roland Garros 2007 and 2009 Fed Cup, while Anabel won his fast surface: Luxembourg, 2004.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Blog Archive