The European champions, Barcelona, and two of their star players, Messi and Abidal have been nominated for the Laureus World Sports Awards (Laureus World Sports Awards) 2012.
Barca is among Laureus Award nominees for Best Team of the Year for the fourth time and Messi has been nominated for the third consecutive Laureus Award for Best International Male Athlete, while the Frenchman Abidal is a candidate for the Laureus Award Best international comeback year after recovering from cancer.
The Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia has also been nominated, along with Abidal, Laureus Award for Best comeback after putting an end to three years without being able to win with victories in two tournaments in a row.
A brilliant constellation of the best stars of the sport has been nominated for the Laureus World Sports Awards 2012, after the vote on the media around the world.
The Laureus World Sports Awards, which recognize sporting achievement of 2011, are the main prizes of the international sporting calendar. The names of the winners, voted by the Laureus World Sports Academy, a team of 47 supreme judges of the best sportsmen and sportswomen of all time, will be announced at a ceremony televised awards from London on Monday 6 of February.
The money raised directly benefits and supports the work of the Charity Foundation Laureus Sport for Good, which supports 89 community projects throughout the world sports. Since its inception, Laureus has raised over 40 million euros for projects that have improved the lives of over a million and half of young people.
In the category of Best Laureus international team of the year, Barcelona will face the New Zealand rugby, the All Blacks winning the Rugby World Cup, the winning team in the NBA, Dallas Mavericks, to the selection English cricket, the world's No. 1, to the Japanese team that won women's soccer Women's World Cup and Formula 1 team Red Bull Formula, winning the constructors' championship for the second consecutive year.
Messi will be the hope of becoming the first player in team history to win individual Laureus Award for Best international male athlete of the year. In this category are nominated Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, winner of two gold medals at the World Athletics Championships, the No. 1 tennis Novak Djokovic, winner of three Grand Slams (the Australia Open, Wimbledon, U.S. Open States), the Australian cyclist Cadel Evans, winner of the Tour de France, and German Dirk Nowitzki, the first European player voted MVP of the NBA Finals and Sebastian Vettel, who was proclaimed World Champion Formula 1 for the second time consecutively.
Both Eric Abidal and Sergio Garcia have been nominated for Laureus Award for Best Comeback of the Year International. Despite having been diagnosed with a liver tumor two months ago and being treated for combat, Eric Abidal played 90 minutes of the final against Manchester United in which Barca won the Champions League. In a touching gesture to celebrate his recovery, Carles Puyol handed the captain's armband for the match and was the first team member to receive the trophy.
In October 2011, the Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia put an end to three years without winning two tournaments wins in a row. Along with Abidal and Garcia, the other nominees are the golfer Darren Clarke of Northern Ireland, who recovered from a slump after the death of his wife and managed to win the Open, the Chinese hurdler Liu Xiang, who won the silver medal in the World Athletics Championships, and the Crusaders and the Reds, two rugby teams that reached the final of the Super 15 despite having to cope with the earthquake in Christchurch and Queensland floods.
The full list of nominees for the Laureus World Sports Awards is:
Best international male athlete of the year
, Usain Bolt
- Novak Djokovic
- Cadel Evans
- Lionel Messi
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Sebastian Vettel
Best international female athlete of the year
- Vivian Cheruiyot
- Maria Riesch
- Carmelita Jeter
- Petra Kvitova
- Homare Sawa
- Yani Tseng
Best international team of the year
English Cricket Team
Japanese women's soccer Team
Best international revelation of the year
- Yohan Blake
- Mo Farah
- Petra Kvitova
- Rory McIlroy
- Li Na
- Oscar Pistorius
Best international comeback of the year
- Eric Abidal
- Darren Clarke
- Sergio Garcia
- Liu Xiang
- Queensland Reds
Disabled Sportsman of the Year International
- Daniel Dias
- Terezinha Guilhermina
- Oscar Pistorius
- Esther Vergeer
- David Weir
- Irek Zaripov
International best athlete of the year end
- Jamie Bestwick
- Philip Köster
- Carissa Moore
- Travis Rice
- Kelly Slater
- Shaun White
Subscribe Now: Feed Icon
- ► 2012 (82)
12/11 - 12/18
- UK deployed 13,500 military, Eurofighter jets and ...
- Ferrari will present his car for 2012 before the f...
- Tyson and Holyfield are reconciled 14 years after ...
- Villa could be out 3 to 6 months, goodbye to the C...
- Injury Villa: four to five months out with a fract...
- Barca, Messi and Abidal nominated for Laureus 2012...
- The European Tour returns to Australia in 2012
- Alvaro Quiros wins the Dubai Champions Final
- Poulter, first leader of Australia Masters
- Orlando warns Lakers, Nets Dallas and not transfer...
- It ends the saga: Chris Paul traded to the Clipper...
- Now what about Pau Gasol and the Lakers?
- Marc Gasol after renovation: "I saw on another com...
- Sergio Rodriguez: "Denver is a good time and Rudy ...
- Tost: "With two years of experience and stop being...
- Van Nistelrooy, top scorer of the first decade of ...
- Figo: "Cristiano Critics do not understand anythin...
- What if Barca advance the operation Neymar?
- Howard will only transfer to the Nets, Mavericks o...
- Stern criticized Garnett for NBA live urgency
- Nowitzki happy with the arrival of Odom, Carter an...
- Denver Nene covered in gold: $ 67 million for five...
- Lamar Odom Lakers accused of "lacking" respect as ...
- The Lakers again by Chris Paul and Superman sacrif...
- Denver, the fate of Rudy Fernandez
- Rudy Fernandez: "George Karl called me at five o'c...
- Kaka: "Winning the Ponferradina has been an import...
- Neymar: "The pressure is a pleasure"
- Ramalho: "Neymar marked as made in Brazil"
- Fletcher: another stone in the tortuous path of Un...
- Neymar expected and Barca in the final
- The case of the Barca striker and the shadow of fa...
- Onyia received a two-year ban for a second time
- Asafa Powell will run indoors in preparation for L...
- Kobe Bryant rebels
- Marc Gasol renewed with the Memphis Grizzlies for ...
- "Super Mario Gómez": the high scorer in the wake o...
- Javier Fernandez in Canada excels and surprises
- Javier Fernandez, bronze in Quebec
- Derrick Rose Chicago Bulls charged at 94 million i...
- 'RIP' by Hamilton in Detroit and Boston's changing...
- Kupchak: "We hope that Pau Gasol, Bynum and Bryant...
- Rudy Fernandez: "I have the visa to Dallas"
- Gene: "Ferrari is so favored as the most after the...
- Hamilton, in the London Underground to raise aware...
- Chelsea warms and lights the Premier
- In Los Angeles believe that Chris Paul could put K...
- Deron Williams called "bully" to David Stern and a...
- Kobe Bryant: "Pau Gasol is still here and I thank ...
- Pau Gasol might end up on the Warriors ... Chris P...
- MotoGP returns to the driving
- Räikkönen, bruised in a motorcycle accident
- Daniel Alves is confident to take this "wonderful"...
- Van Persie continues unabated
- Inter take a breath and Klose puts Lazio second
- Messi was the difference, said Christian ended
- Guardiola: "The World Cup is a tough competition a...
- Anelka reached an agreement to play for Shanghai S...
- Guardiola: "We played the best team in the world"
- ▼ 12/11 - 12/18 (59)